Can I use Fentora if I have a history of seizures?

If you have a history of seizures, you'll need to carefully weigh the decision of whether or not to use Fentora (fentanyl), a morphine-like drug for breakthrough cancer pain.

Fentora can raise your risk of experiencing seizures even further. You may be able to combine Fentora with antiseizure medicine, but achieving an effective balance between these two drugs can be tricky. That's because the antiseizure drugs carbamazepine and phenytoin can cause Fentora to be flushed from your body faster, reducing its power to provide pain relief. Still, by working closely with your doctor, you are likely to find effective doses of each medicine.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How often are opioids prescribed in the US?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The amount of opioid prescriptions in the US peaked in 2012 at more than 255 million and a prescribi...
How should I get rid of unused opioid medication?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Get rid of unused opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain ...
What should I know before taking opioids?
Before prescribing an opioid for low back pain, your doctor should order a urine test to check for o...
How do you treat constipation and other side effects of taking opioids?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
Your doctor may prescribe a stool softener along with an opioid to prevent constipation. Other commo...