Can I use Fentora if I have a history of alcoholism?

If you have a history of alcoholism, you should talk with your doctor about whether you can use Fentora (fentanyl), a morphine-like drug for breakthrough cancer pain. Fentora can be habit-forming, especially for people who have had troubles with addiction in the past. You should not drink alcohol at all while using Fentora, since the combination can worsen side effects like sleepiness and increase the risk of a potentially fatal slowdown in your breathing. Still, you and your doctor may decide the pain relief offered by Fentora outweighs these dangers.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What opioid medications can help treat severe headaches?
Egilius L. Spierings, MDEgilius L. Spierings, MD
If you suffer severe headaches frequently, if not daily, one strategy to consider is a long-acti...
Why should I lock up my opioid medication and dispose of unused pills?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
It can seem inconvenient to lock up opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way yo...
Can I use fentanyl if I have a history of asthma?
You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of asthma, but you should tell your do...
How do opioids relieve pain?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
Prescription drugs that contain opioids (opioid analgesics) such as codeine are useful for pain ...