Can I drive while taking methadone?

You should not drive if you're taking methadone. This drug, which is used to treat pain and also to prevent withdrawal symptoms from addiction, can cause drowsiness, making it dangerous to drive or do other activities that require you to be alert. Don't get behind the wheel until you know how methadone affects you. To learn more about the side effects of methadone, talk to your doctor or pharmacist.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How will my doctor ensure I don’t become addicted to opioid medication?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
There is no clear way to ensure that you won’t become addicted to opioids if you are taking them for...
What are side effects of opioid medication?
Side effects may include sleepiness, dizziness, problems with thinking or coordination, nausea, vomi...
What are the risks of using opioid pain medication?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
The main effects and risks of using opioids include nausea and constipation, accidental overdose, an...
How do you treat constipation and other side effects of taking opioids?
Your doctor may prescribe a stool softener along with an opioid to prevent constipation. Other commo...