Can I drink wine or other alcohol when I'm on methadone?

You should not drink wine, beer or any other alcoholic beverage while you're taking methadone, which is used to treat pain and also to prevent withdrawal symptoms from addiction. Methadone is an opioid and can make you drowsy. Drinking alcohol can worsen this side effect, making it dangerous for you to drive or do anything that requires you to be alert. If you regularly drink alcohol, tell your doctor before taking methadone.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How should I get rid of unused opioid medication?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Get rid of unused opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain ...
What are opioid medications?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Opioid pain medication is a common type of prescription pain medication. It is also sometimes call...
What are the risks of using opioid pain medication?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
The main effects and risks of using opioids include nausea and constipation, accidental overdose, an...
What are alternatives to opioid pain medication?
Pain medicine is a slippery slope for most. Both doctors and patients should give serious considerat...