Can I use Dilaudid if I have a history of lung disease?

Tell your doctor about any form of lung disease you've had before taking Dilaudid (hydromorphone). This pain reliever can cause a variety of side effects and changes in the body, including respiratory depression, or a decrease in the ability to move air in and out of the lungs. This problem can be especially serious for people who have or have had lung disease or other breathing disorders. Your doctor may prescribe an alternative medication if you have a history of lung disease.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How will my doctor ensure I don’t become addicted to opioid medication?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
There is no clear way to ensure that you won’t become addicted to opioids if you are taking them for...
What are the risks of using opioid pain medication?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Used as directed, opioid pain medication can be safe and effective. However, it can also pose so...
Can I use tramadol if I have a history of diabetes?
Tramadol belongs to a class of drugs called opioid analgesics, which doctors prescribe for the treat...
How often are opioids prescribed in the US?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The amount of opioid prescriptions in the US peaked in 2012 at more than 255 million and a prescribi...