Can I use Dilaudid if I have a history of kidney disease?

You may still be able to use Dilaudid (hydromorphone) if you have a history of kidney disease. But be sure to tell your doctor about past kidney problems before using this pain reliever. Having impaired kidney function can slow down the body's ability to process Dilaudid. For that reason, your doctor may need to adjust your dose of Dilaudid. He or she may also prefer to prescribe Dilaudid in liquid form.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

Should opioids be prescribed for all types of pain?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
Opioids can be very helpful for acute pain management in the short term, but there are some side eff...
Can I use fentanyl if I have a history of asthma?
You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of asthma, but you should tell your do...
What are the symptoms of opioid medication withdrawal?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
If opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signals) is sto...
What medications can cause breathing problems when taken with opioids?
Medications that interact with opioids to decrease breathing include clonazepam (Klonopin), alpr...