Can I use Dilaudid if I have a history of kidney disease?

You may still be able to use Dilaudid (hydromorphone) if you have a history of kidney disease. But be sure to tell your doctor about past kidney problems before using this pain reliever. Having impaired kidney function can slow down the body's ability to process Dilaudid. For that reason, your doctor may need to adjust your dose of Dilaudid. He or she may also prefer to prescribe Dilaudid in liquid form.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How often are opioids prescribed in the US?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The amount of opioid prescriptions in the US peaked in 2012 at more than 255 million and a prescribi...
How do opioids relieve pain?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
Prescription drugs that contain opioids (opioid analgesics) such as codeine are useful for pain ...
Why should I lock up my opioid medication and dispose of unused pills?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
It can seem inconvenient to lock up opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way yo...
Do prescription opioids cause more deaths than cocaine and heroin?
Howard J. Shaffer, PhDHoward J. Shaffer, PhD
Today, people face stiff penalties for possessing cocaine or heroin, yet data suggest that opioi...