Can I use Dilaudid if I have a history of hypothyroidism?

If you have a history of hypothyroidism, tell your doctor before taking Dilaudid (hydromorphone). Dilaudid is a medication that doctors prescribe to relieve moderate to severe pain. Hypothyroidism is a common condition that causes a drop in levels of thyroid hormones, which control metabolism. You may still be able to take Dilaudid if you have a history of hypothyroidism. However, your doctor may need to change your dose or give you special instructions for taking Dilaudid.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How often are opioids prescribed in the US?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The amount of opioid prescriptions in the US peaked in 2012 at more than 255 million and a prescribi...
How do you treat constipation and other side effects of taking opioids?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
Your doctor may prescribe a stool softener along with an opioid to prevent constipation. Other commo...
What are the risks of using opioid pain medication?
The main effects and risks of using opioids include nausea and constipation, accidental overdose, an...
What are alternatives to opioid pain medication?
Pain medicine is a slippery slope for most. Both doctors and patients should give serious considerat...