Can I use Dilaudid if I have a history of gallbladder disease?

Make sure your doctor knows that you have a history of gallbladder disease before taking Dilaudid (hydromorphone). Dilaudid is a pain reliever that's part of a group of medications called opioid analgesics. Hydromorphone, the active ingredient in Dilaudid, may worsen symptoms of gallstones and other gallbladder disorders. You might still be able to take Dilaudid, but your doctor may prefer to prescribe an alternative medication.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What are side effects of opioid medication?
Dr. Howard J. Shaffer, PhDDr. Howard J. Shaffer, PhD
In addition to their powerful painkilling effects, opioids can produce a feeling of well-being and e...
Can I use fentanyl if I have a history of asthma?
You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of asthma, but you should tell your do...
What are the risks of using opioid pain medication?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Used as directed, opioid pain medication can be safe and effective. However, it can also pose so...
How should I get rid of unused opioid medication?
Get rid of unused opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain ...