Can I use Butrans if I have a history of thyroid problems?

You may be able to use Butrans (buprenorphine) if you have a history of thyroid problems, but your doctor is likely to use extra caution in prescribing it. Butrans is a seven-day patch that delivers an opioid painkiller around the clock to relieve moderate to severe chronic pain. It can cause respiratory depression, which can be dangerous. Hypothyroidism -- underactive thyroid -- raises the risk of this adverse reaction, so your doctor will take it into account while prescribing.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What should I know before taking opioids?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Before prescribing an opioid for low back pain, your doctor should order a urine test to check for o...
What medications interact with opioids?
If you are taking a benzodiazepine, mifepristone, or sodium oxybate, you should not take opioids. ...
What are side effects of opioid medication?
Side effects may include sleepiness, dizziness, problems with thinking or coordination, nausea, vomi...
How often are opioids prescribed in the US?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The amount of opioid prescriptions in the US peaked in 2012 at more than 255 million and a prescribi...