Can I use Butrans if I have a history of thyroid problems?

You may be able to use Butrans (buprenorphine) if you have a history of thyroid problems, but your doctor is likely to use extra caution in prescribing it. Butrans is a seven-day patch that delivers an opioid painkiller around the clock to relieve moderate to severe chronic pain. It can cause respiratory depression, which can be dangerous. Hypothyroidism -- underactive thyroid -- raises the risk of this adverse reaction, so your doctor will take it into account while prescribing.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

Can I use tramadol if I have a history of diabetes?
Tramadol belongs to a class of drugs called opioid analgesics, which doctors prescribe for the treat...
How can I prevent opioid medication withdrawal symptoms?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
To avoid opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signa...
Can I use fentanyl if I have a history of asthma?
You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of asthma, but you should tell your do...
What opioid medications can help treat severe headaches?
Egilius L. Spierings, MDEgilius L. Spierings, MD
If you suffer severe headaches frequently, if not daily, one strategy to consider is a long-acti...