Can I use Butrans if I have a history of sleep apnea?

You may be able to use Butrans (buprenorphine) if you have a history of sleep apnea, but your doctor is likely to use extra caution and monitor you particularly carefully. Butrans, a round-the-clock opioid painkiller that is released by a seven-day skin patch, can impair breathing. It poses extra risks for people with sleep apnea, a condition in which you stop breathing -- for several seconds at a time, many times a night -- while you are sleeping. If you have a history of sleep apnea, your doctor may prescribe a lower-than-normal dose of Butrans and watch you for respiratory depression.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How will my doctor ensure I don’t become addicted to opioid medication?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
There is no clear way to ensure that you won’t become addicted to opioids if you are taking them for...
What should I avoid doing when taking opioid drugs for short-term pain?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
While taking opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain s...
What medications can cause breathing problems when taken with opioids?
Medications that interact with opioids to decrease breathing include clonazepam (Klonopin), alpr...
What are side effects of opioid medication?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Side effects may include sleepiness, dizziness, problems with thinking or coordination, nausea, vomi...