Can I use Butrans if I have a history of sleep apnea?

You may be able to use Butrans (buprenorphine) if you have a history of sleep apnea, but your doctor is likely to use extra caution and monitor you particularly carefully. Butrans, a round-the-clock opioid painkiller that is released by a seven-day skin patch, can impair breathing. It poses extra risks for people with sleep apnea, a condition in which you stop breathing -- for several seconds at a time, many times a night -- while you are sleeping. If you have a history of sleep apnea, your doctor may prescribe a lower-than-normal dose of Butrans and watch you for respiratory depression.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What should I know before taking opioids?
Before prescribing an opioid for low back pain, your doctor should order a urine test to check for o...
Why should I lock up my opioid medication and dispose of unused pills?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
It can seem inconvenient to lock up opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way yo...
How can I prevent opioid medication withdrawal symptoms?
To avoid opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signa...
What should I avoid doing when taking opioid drugs for short-term pain?
While taking opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain s...