Can I use Butrans if I have a history of liver problems?

You may be able to use Butrans (buprenorphine) if you have a history of liver problems, but your doctor may order tests to monitor your liver function. Butrans is a skin patch that releases an opioid to relieve moderate to severe chronic pain. There have been reports of adverse reactions in people with liver problems who took different forms of the active ingredient in Butrans, so there is reason to take precautions.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

Should opioids be prescribed for all types of pain?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
Opioids can be very helpful for acute pain management in the short term, but there are some side eff...
What are alternatives to opioid pain medication?
Pain medicine is a slippery slope for most. Both doctors and patients should give serious considerat...
What should I know before taking opioids?
Before prescribing an opioid for low back pain, your doctor should order a urine test to check for o...
How does tramadol treat fibromyalgia?
Tramadol (Conzip, Ultram) is a weak narcotic pain medication. It is sometimes prescribed for people ...