Can I use Butrans if I have a history of intestinal problems?

Butrans (buprenorphine) may pose a particular risk to people with a history of intestinal problems. Butrans is an opioid patch that you apply to your skin and leave on for seven days to treat moderate to severe chronic pain.

Like many opioid narcotics, Butrans can cause constipation. In some cases, it can also lead to intestinal obstruction. People who have intestinal obstruction or who have had it in the past should not use Butrans. Before you start using Butrans, give your doctor a complete medical history, including current and past conditions. If you have a history of intestinal problems, talk to your doctor about whether you can use Butrans.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What are side effects of opioid medication?
Side effects may include sleepiness, dizziness, problems with thinking or coordination, nausea, vomi...
Can I use tramadol if I have a history of diabetes?
Tramadol belongs to a class of drugs called opioid analgesics, which doctors prescribe for the treat...
What are the side effects of opioid medication for short-term pain?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signals) for s...
What should I know before taking opioids?
Before prescribing an opioid for low back pain, your doctor should order a urine test to check for o...