Can I use Avinza if I have a history of substance abuse or addiction?

You may be able to take the painkiller Avinza (morphine) if you have or had substance abuse problems, but you should let your doctor know about that part of your medical history before you start taking this drug. Avinza can be habit forming, and people with a history of addiction may be more susceptible to this side effect. Never take more Avinza than your doctor prescribes and never take it more often than directed. You should also never break open the Avinza capsule and crush, chew, dissolve, snort or inject the particles inside. Doing so immediately releases the entire day's dose into your system, which could cause a fatal overdose.

Don't take Avinza if you drink. It's very important that you avoid all alcohol while using Avinza, including alcohol-containing medication. Alcohol can cause your body to absorb Avinza too rapidly, which can cause overdose and death.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What should I know before taking opioids?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Before prescribing an opioid for low back pain, your doctor should order a urine test to check for o...
More Answers
Why should I lock up my opioid medication and dispose of unused pills?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
It can seem inconvenient to lock up opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way yo...
More Answers
What medications interact with opioids?
Donna Hill Howes, RNDonna Hill Howes, RN
If you are taking a benzodiazepine, mifepristone, or sodium oxybate, you should not take opioids. I...
More Answers
What are the symptoms of opioid medication withdrawal?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Someone who is going through opioid withdrawal will experience a terrible feeling of pain, joint ach...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.