Can I use Avinza if I have a history of seizures?

You may be able to take the painkiller Avinza (morphine) if you have seizures, but you should know that this drug can increase the chances of having a seizure in people who are prone to them. If you have seizures or a history of a convulsive disorder, tell your doctor before you start taking Avinza. He or she is likely to monitor you carefully if you do start Avinza.

Your doctor also needs to know if you're taking any medication for your seizure condition, because those drugs could affect how much Avinza you're prescribed, or whether you're given the drug at all. Antiseizure medications and Avinza both slow down the central nervous system, and taking them together can cause a dangerous drop in crucial bodily functions, like breathing rate and blood pressure. Those changes can cause coma and even death.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

Why should I lock up my opioid medication and dispose of unused pills?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
It can seem inconvenient to lock up opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way yo...
What opioid medications can help treat severe headaches?
Egilius L. Spierings, MDEgilius L. Spierings, MD
If you suffer severe headaches frequently, if not daily, one strategy to consider is a long-acti...
Can I use fentanyl if I have a history of asthma?
You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of asthma, but you should tell your do...
What should I tell my doctor before taking an opioid medication?
Dr. Travis M. Hendry, MDDr. Travis M. Hendry, MD
Before you start taking an opioid medication, talk to your doctor and pharmacist. Follow these tips:...