Can I use Avinza if I have a history of seizures?

You may be able to take the painkiller Avinza (morphine) if you have seizures, but you should know that this drug can increase the chances of having a seizure in people who are prone to them. If you have seizures or a history of a convulsive disorder, tell your doctor before you start taking Avinza. He or she is likely to monitor you carefully if you do start Avinza.

Your doctor also needs to know if you're taking any medication for your seizure condition, because those drugs could affect how much Avinza you're prescribed, or whether you're given the drug at all. Antiseizure medications and Avinza both slow down the central nervous system, and taking them together can cause a dangerous drop in crucial bodily functions, like breathing rate and blood pressure. Those changes can cause coma and even death.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What are side effects of opioid medication?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Side effects may include sleepiness, dizziness, problems with thinking or coordination, nausea, vomi...
Should opioids be prescribed for all types of pain?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
Opioids can be very helpful for acute pain management in the short term, but there are some side eff...
What medication should I avoid if I have a bowel obstruction?
Do not take the painkiller Avinza (morphine) if you have paralytic ileus, a partial or complete bowe...
What opioid medications can help treat severe headaches?
Egilius L. Spierings, MDEgilius L. Spierings, MD
If you suffer severe headaches frequently, if not daily, one strategy to consider is a long-acti...