Can I use Avinza if I have a history of alcoholism?

You may be able to use Avinza (morphine) if you have a history of alcoholism, but you should be aware that the painkiller can be habit forming, and people with a history of alcoholism may be more susceptible to abusing it. It is very important to avoid alcohol, including alcohol-containing medication, while you're using Avinza. Alcohol can make your body absorb Avinza too rapidly, greatly increasing the amount of the drug that gets into your blood. This cause severe, potentially fatal, side effects.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What should I avoid doing when taking opioid drugs for short-term pain?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
While taking opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain s...
Why should I lock up my opioid medication and dispose of unused pills?
It can seem inconvenient to lock up opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way yo...
What are alternatives to opioid pain medication?
Pain medicine is a slippery slope for most. Both doctors and patients should give serious considerat...
How does opioid medication treat short-term pain?
Pain medication helps control pain so you can sleep, move, and heal. One type of prescription pa...