Can I use Actiq if I am taking selegiline?

You should not use Actiq if you're taking selegiline (brand names: Eldepryl, Emsam, Zelapar). Actiq is an opiate lozenge for relieving breakthrough cancer pain. Selegiline, used to treat Parkinson's disease and depression, is a kind of medication called an MAO inhibitor. Using Actiq while on an MAO inhibitor can cause unpredictable and possibly severe reactions. You should stop taking MAO inhibitors 14 days before starting to use Actiq. Tell your doctor about every medication and supplement you are taking, including selegiline.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How will my doctor ensure I don’t become addicted to opioid medication?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
There is no clear way to ensure that you won’t become addicted to opioids if you are taking them for...
How often are opioids prescribed in the US?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The amount of opioid prescriptions in the US peaked in 2012 at more than 255 million and a prescribi...
Who is at risk for breathing problems caused by opioid medication?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Opioid therapy can decrease your breathing, especially during sleep. This problem, called respir...
What are opioid medications?
Opioid medications are strong prescription medications that change the way your brain handles pain s...