Can I use Actiq if I am taking rifabutin?

You may be able to take Actiq if you're taking rifabutin (Mycobutin), but tell your doctor. Actiq is an opiate lozenge used to treat breakthrough cancer pain. Rifabutin is a medication used to prevent or slow a certain kind of bacterial infection in people who are HIV positive. Using Actiq while taking rifabutin can reduce Actiq’s ability to control your pain. Let your doctor know about every medication you are taking for the treatment of your HIV infection—and any other medical condition—so he or she can adjust your medication regimen if necessary and monitor you more carefully for any adverse reactions to any of your medications.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How should I get rid of unused opioid medication?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Get rid of unused opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain ...
How does tramadol treat fibromyalgia?
Tramadol (Conzip, Ultram) is a weak narcotic pain medication. It is sometimes prescribed for people ...
Can I use fentanyl if I have a history of asthma?
You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of asthma, but you should tell your do...
What should I know before taking opioids?
Before prescribing an opioid for low back pain, your doctor should order a urine test to check for o...