Can I use Actiq if I am taking pentazocine?

Using Actiq while also taking pentazocine (brand name: Talwin) may increase your risk of adverse side effects. Actiq is a synthetic opiate lozenge used to treat breakthrough pain in cancer patients who are already being treated with narcotic (opiate) pain medications. Pentazocine is also an opiate-type medication used to treat pain, and so adding it to your drug regimen can increase the risk of adverse side effects such as very low blood pressure and breathing problems. Tell your doctor about every medication and supplement you're taking, including other pain medications such as pentazocine.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

Should opioids be prescribed for all types of pain?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
Opioids can be very helpful for acute pain management in the short term, but there are some side eff...
What medications interact with opioids?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
If you are taking a benzodiazepine, mifepristone, or sodium oxybate, you should not take opioids. ...
Can I use fentanyl if I have a history of asthma?
You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of asthma, but you should tell your do...
How will my doctor ensure I don’t become addicted to opioid medication?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
There is no clear way to ensure that you won’t become addicted to opioids if you are taking them for...