Can I use Actiq if I am taking nalmefene?

Nalmefene (Revex) may stop Actiq (fentanyl) from being effective and may lead to adverse side effects. Tell your doctor if you are taking nalmefene. Actiq is a synthetic opiate lozenge used to treat breakthrough cancer pain. Nalmefene is an opiate antagonist, meaning it blocks opiates. If you are taking Actiq and develop potentially dangerous side effects such as very low blood pressure or trouble breathing, your doctor may give you a drug such as nalmefene to reverse those side effects. If you have become dependent on opiates, nalmefene can lead to opiate withdrawal symptoms. It is a useful drug to treat adverse side effects of Actiq.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How will my doctor ensure I don’t become addicted to opioid medication?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
There is no clear way to ensure that you won’t become addicted to opioids if you are taking them for...
How does opioid medication treat short-term pain?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Pain medication helps control pain so you can sleep, move, and heal. One type of prescription pa...
Who is at risk for breathing problems caused by opioid medication?
Opioid therapy can decrease your breathing, especially during sleep. This problem, called respir...
Why should I lock up my opioid medication and dispose of unused pills?
It can seem inconvenient to lock up opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way yo...