Can I use Actiq if I am taking nalbuphine?

Taking nalbuphine (Nubain) while also taking Actiq (fentanyl) may increase the risk of serious breathing problems and other side effects. Nalbuphine is an injectable medication used to treat pain. Actiq is a synthetic opiate lozenge used to treat breakthrough cancer pain in patients who are already being treated with round-the-clock narcotics. Taken together, Nubain and Actiq can increase the risk of breathing problems and other serious side effects. Talk with your doctor about whether the risks of taking Actiq and Nubain are greater than the potential benefits.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

Do prescription opioids cause more deaths than cocaine and heroin?
Howard J. Shaffer, PhDHoward J. Shaffer, PhD
Today, people face stiff penalties for possessing cocaine or heroin, yet data suggest that opioi...
What are opioid medications?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Opioid medications are strong prescription medications that change the way your brain handles pain s...
How often are opioids prescribed in the US?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The amount of opioid prescriptions in the US peaked in 2012 at more than 255 million and a prescribi...
What should I know before taking opioids?
Before prescribing an opioid for low back pain, your doctor should order a urine test to check for o...