Can I use Actiq if I am taking medications for nausea?

If you're taking Actiq (fentanyl), a synthetic opiate lozenge used to treat breakthrough cancer pain, tell your doctor if you're also taking an antinausea drug—to help you cope with chemotherapy, for instance. Some antinausea drugs can have adverse interactions with Actiq; if you are taking one of these, your doctor can prescribe a different one. The antinausea drug aprepitant (Emend), for example, can cause levels of Actiq to build up in your system, which can be dangerous. Tell your doctor about every prescription drug, over-the-counter medication and supplement that you are taking.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What should I know before taking opioids?
Before prescribing an opioid for low back pain, your doctor should order a urine test to check for o...
Can I use tramadol if I have a history of diabetes?
Tramadol belongs to a class of drugs called opioid analgesics, which doctors prescribe for the treat...
Can I use fentanyl if I have a history of asthma?
You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of asthma, but you should tell your do...
What should I avoid doing while on opioid medication for chronic pain?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Take opioid pain medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain sign...