Can I use Actiq if I am taking St. John's Wort?

You may be able to use Actiq if you're using St. John's wort, but talk to your doctor first. Actiq is an opiate used to treat breakthrough cancer pain. St. John's wort is an herbal supplement sometimes used by people with depression. Taking St. John's wort while using Actiq may reduce Actiq's ability to control your pain. Actiq may cause depressive symptoms as a side effect in some people, so it's important that you treat your depression while dealing with cancer pain.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

Can I use tramadol if I have a history of diabetes?
Tramadol belongs to a class of drugs called opioid analgesics, which doctors prescribe for the treat...
How can I prevent opioid medication withdrawal symptoms?
Howard J. Shaffer, PhDHoward J. Shaffer, PhD
Medications for opioid addiction help prevent or ease withdrawal symptoms and reduce cravings. A...
How often are opioids prescribed in the US?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The amount of opioid prescriptions in the US peaked in 2012 at more than 255 million and a prescribi...
What should I tell my doctor before taking an opioid medication?
Dr. Travis M. Hendry, MDDr. Travis M. Hendry, MD
Before you start taking an opioid medication, talk to your doctor and pharmacist. Follow these tips:...