Can I use Actiq if I am taking isocarboxazid?

You should not use Actiq (fentanyl) if you've taken isocarboxazid (Marplan) in the last 14 days. Actiq is a synthetic opiate lozenge used to treat breakthrough cancer pain. Isocarboxazid is an antidepressant that belongs to a class of drugs known as MAO inhibitors. Taking MAO inhibitors while using Actiq can cause fatal drug interactions. Talk to your doctor about other medications that may be safer to take to manage your depression or other behavioral health conditions, while using Actiq.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

Can I use tramadol if I have a history of diabetes?
Tramadol belongs to a class of drugs called opioid analgesics, which doctors prescribe for the treat...
How does opioid medication treat short-term pain?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Pain medication helps control pain so you can sleep, move, and heal. One type of prescription pa...
How will my doctor ensure I don’t become addicted to opioid medication?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
There is no clear way to ensure that you won’t become addicted to opioids if you are taking them for...
What are the risks of using opioid pain medication?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
The main effects and risks of using opioids include nausea and constipation, accidental overdose, an...