Can I use Actiq if I am taking carbamazepine?

You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you are taking carbamazepine, but tell your doctor. Actiq is a synthetic opiate lozenge used to treat breakthrough pain in cancer patients already being treated with opiate-type medications. Carbamazepine is a medication used to treat seizures. The drugs can interact, and seizures are a possible negative side effect of Actiq. If you have a history of seizures and are taking carbamazepine to control them, discuss your options with your cancer doctor.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How often are opioids prescribed in the US?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The amount of opioid prescriptions in the US peaked in 2012 at more than 255 million and a prescribi...
Can I use fentanyl if I have a history of asthma?
You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of asthma, but you should tell your do...
How should I get rid of unused opioid medication?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Get rid of unused opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain ...
What should I avoid doing when taking opioid drugs for short-term pain?
While taking opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain s...