Can I use Actiq if I am taking medications for mental illness?

You may be able to take the cancer-pain medication Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of mental illness, but tell your doctor so he or she can take precautions. Actiq can cause psychological side effects, including anxiety, depression, hallucinations (seeing things or hearing voices that don't exist) and strange thoughts or dreams. Knowing your history of mental illness will help your physician monitor your reaction to Actiq to make sure you can take it safely.

Certain drugs and supplements used to treat depression can interact with Actiq. This is especially true of antidepressants that are MAO inhibitors. You should not take an MAO inhibitor while using Actiq; in fact, you should not start taking Actiq until at least 14 days after taking an MAO inhibitor because these drugs dangerously interact, putting you at high risk for shock, seizure, coma, low blood pressure and a potentially fatal slowing of your breathing. The herbal supplement St. John's Wort can also interact with Actiq. Make sure your doctor knows about every medication (prescription and nonprescription) and supplement you take before you start to take Actiq.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How can I prevent breathing problems caused by opioid medications?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Respiratory depression caused by opioid medications can be prevented by doing the following: Tel...
What are the side effects of opioid medication for short-term pain?
Opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signals) for s...
What should I know before taking opioids?
Before prescribing an opioid for low back pain, your doctor should order a urine test to check for o...
How often are opioids prescribed in the US?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The amount of opioid prescriptions in the US peaked in 2012 at more than 255 million and a prescribi...