Can I use Actiq if I have a history of stroke?

You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of stroke, but tell your doctor, as you may be at increased risk of side effects. Actiq is a narcotic (synthetic opiate) lozenge for the treatment of breakthrough pain in cancer patients. Like many narcotics, it slows the heartbeat, which affects blood flow, including blood flow to the brain. If your doctor knows you have had a stroke, he or she can take special precautions to monitor you while you are using Actiq.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How do opioids relieve pain?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
Prescription drugs that contain opioids (opioid analgesics) such as codeine are useful for pain ...
How should I get rid of unused opioid medication?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Get rid of unused opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain ...
Do prescription opioids cause more deaths than cocaine and heroin?
Howard J. Shaffer, PhDHoward J. Shaffer, PhD
Today, people face stiff penalties for possessing cocaine or heroin, yet data suggest that opioi...
What are the symptoms of opioid medication withdrawal?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Someone who is going through opioid withdrawal will experience a terrible feeling of pain, joint ach...