Can I use Actiq if I have a history of stroke?

You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of stroke, but tell your doctor, as you may be at increased risk of side effects. Actiq is a narcotic (synthetic opiate) lozenge for the treatment of breakthrough pain in cancer patients. Like many narcotics, it slows the heartbeat, which affects blood flow, including blood flow to the brain. If your doctor knows you have had a stroke, he or she can take special precautions to monitor you while you are using Actiq.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How do you treat constipation and other side effects of taking opioids?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
Your doctor may prescribe a stool softener along with an opioid to prevent constipation. Other commo...
How will my doctor ensure I don’t become addicted to opioid medication?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
There is no clear way to ensure that you won’t become addicted to opioids if you are taking them for...
How do opioids relieve pain?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
Prescription drugs that contain opioids (opioid analgesics) such as codeine are useful for pain ...
What are the symptoms of opioid medication withdrawal?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
If opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signals) is sto...