Can I use Actiq if I have a history of a slow heartbeat?

You may be able to take Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of a slow heartbeat, but tell your doctor. Actiq is a fast-acting narcotic lozenge used for the treatment of breakthrough cancer pain. Like any narcotic, it slows heart rate. If you already have a slow heartbeat—a condition called bradycardia—you may be at increased risk of side effects from Actiq. Your doctor will help you determine if you can still use Actiq safely and, if the answer is yes, will monitor you for any adverse side effects.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What should I know before taking opioids?
Before prescribing an opioid for low back pain, your doctor should order a urine test to check for o...
How should I get rid of unused opioid medication?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Get rid of unused opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain ...
Can I use tramadol if I have a history of diabetes?
Tramadol belongs to a class of drugs called opioid analgesics, which doctors prescribe for the treat...
Why should I lock up my opioid medication and dispose of unused pills?
It can seem inconvenient to lock up opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way yo...