Can I use Actiq if I have a history of seizures?

You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of seizures, but tell your doctor so that he or she can monitor possible side effects. Actiq is a narcotic lozenge used for the treatment of breakthrough cancer pain. Among the possible side effects of Actiq are seizures, so people with a history of seizures need to be monitored carefully to make sure they are tolerating Actiq well.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

Do prescription opioids cause more deaths than cocaine and heroin?
Howard J. Shaffer, PhDHoward J. Shaffer, PhD
Today, people face stiff penalties for possessing cocaine or heroin, yet data suggest that opioi...
How often are opioids prescribed in the US?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The amount of opioid prescriptions in the US peaked in 2012 at more than 255 million and a prescribi...
What should I know before taking opioids?
Before prescribing an opioid for low back pain, your doctor should order a urine test to check for o...
What are the risks of using opioid pain medication?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
The main effects and risks of using opioids include nausea and constipation, accidental overdose, an...