Can I use Actiq if I have a history of mental problems?

You may be able to take Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of mental problems, but tell your doctor so he or she can take precautions. Actiq is a fast-acting narcotic lozenge for the treatment of breakthrough cancer pain. It can cause psychological side effects, including anxiety, depression, hallucinations (seeing things or hearing voices that don't exist) and strange thoughts or dreams. Knowing your history of mental health problems will help your doctor monitor your reaction to Actiq.

Tell your doctor about any medications or supplements you take or have taken recently, as some mental health drugs and supplements can interact with Actiq. These include MAO inhibitors for depression and St. John's wort, an herbal supplement often used for depression. If you have any concerns about how you'll react to Actiq, talk to your doctor.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

Can I use tramadol if I have a history of diabetes?
Tramadol belongs to a class of drugs called opioid analgesics, which doctors prescribe for the treat...
What opioid medications can help treat severe headaches?
Egilius L. Spierings, MDEgilius L. Spierings, MD
If you suffer severe headaches frequently, if not daily, one strategy to consider is a long-acti...
How often are opioids prescribed in the US?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The amount of opioid prescriptions in the US peaked in 2012 at more than 255 million and a prescribi...
What are opioid medications?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Opioid pain medication is a common type of prescription pain medication. It is also sometimes call...