Can I use Actiq if I have a history of lung disease?

You may be able to take Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of lung disease, but tell your doctor. Actiq is a quick-acting narcotic lozenge for the treatment of breakthrough cancer pain. Like any narcotic, it affects the central nervous system and slows breathing. Actiq can cause breathing problems in healthy people and is more likely to do so if you have a history of lung disease. If you have a history of lung disease, your doctor will monitor you closely while you are taking Actiq.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What opioid medications can help treat severe headaches?
Egilius L. Spierings, MDEgilius L. Spierings, MD
If you suffer severe headaches frequently, if not daily, one strategy to consider is a long-acti...
How do you treat constipation and other side effects of taking opioids?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
Your doctor may prescribe a stool softener along with an opioid to prevent constipation. Other commo...
How will my doctor ensure I don’t become addicted to opioid medication?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
There is no clear way to ensure that you won’t become addicted to opioids if you are taking them for...
How can I prevent breathing problems caused by opioid medications?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Respiratory depression caused by opioid medications can be prevented by doing the following: Tel...