Can I use Actiq if I have a history of lung disease?

You may be able to take Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of lung disease, but tell your doctor. Actiq is a quick-acting narcotic lozenge for the treatment of breakthrough cancer pain. Like any narcotic, it affects the central nervous system and slows breathing. Actiq can cause breathing problems in healthy people and is more likely to do so if you have a history of lung disease. If you have a history of lung disease, your doctor will monitor you closely while you are taking Actiq.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How do you treat constipation and other side effects of taking opioids?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
Your doctor may prescribe a stool softener along with an opioid to prevent constipation. Other commo...
Can I use fentanyl if I have a history of asthma?
You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of asthma, but you should tell your do...
How does tramadol treat fibromyalgia?
Tramadol (Conzip, Ultram) is a weak narcotic pain medication. It is sometimes prescribed for people ...
Should opioids be prescribed for all types of pain?
Opioids can be very helpful for acute pain management in the short term, but there are some side eff...