Can I use Actiq if I have a history of liver disease?

You may be able to take Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of liver disease, but tell your doctor. Actiq is a quick-acting narcotic lozenge for the treatment of breakthrough cancer pain in patients who are already taking opiate-type narcotics for pain. After you use Actiq and get its pain-relief benefits, your liver plays an important role in breaking it down so it can be safely eliminated from your body. If you have liver impairment, your doctor will take special precautions to monitor you while you take Actiq. Tell your doctor about all medications and supplements you're taking; some of these may affect your liver or interact with Actiq.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How does opioid medication treat short-term pain?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Pain medication helps control pain so you can sleep, move, and heal. One type of prescription pa...
How do you treat constipation and other side effects of taking opioids?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
Your doctor may prescribe a stool softener along with an opioid to prevent constipation. Other commo...
What are the risks of using opioid pain medication?
The main effects and risks of using opioids include nausea and constipation, accidental overdose, an...
What should I tell my doctor before taking an opioid medication?
Dr. Travis M. Hendry, MDDr. Travis M. Hendry, MD
Before you start taking an opioid medication, talk to your doctor and pharmacist. Follow these tips:...