Can I use Actiq if I have a history of liver disease?

You may be able to take Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of liver disease, but tell your doctor. Actiq is a quick-acting narcotic lozenge for the treatment of breakthrough cancer pain in patients who are already taking opiate-type narcotics for pain. After you use Actiq and get its pain-relief benefits, your liver plays an important role in breaking it down so it can be safely eliminated from your body. If you have liver impairment, your doctor will take special precautions to monitor you while you take Actiq. Tell your doctor about all medications and supplements you're taking; some of these may affect your liver or interact with Actiq.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How can I prevent breathing problems caused by opioid medications?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Respiratory depression caused by opioid medications can be prevented by doing the following: Tel...
How will my doctor ensure I don’t become addicted to opioid medication?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
There is no clear way to ensure that you won’t become addicted to opioids if you are taking them for...
How can I prevent opioid medication withdrawal symptoms?
To avoid opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signa...
What are the side effects of opioid medication for short-term pain?
Opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signals) for s...