Can I use Actiq if I have a history of kidney disease?

You may be able to take Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of kidney disease, but tell your doctor. Actiq is a quick-acting synthetic opiate lozenge used to treat breakthrough cancer pain. Your kidneys break down Actiq and excrete it in urine, so if your kidneys aren't working well, it may affect how your body uses this drug. Tell your doctor about your history of kidney disease and any other medical condition you have, as well as all medications and supplements you take, so that he or she can monitor your carefully when you take Actiq.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What medications interact with opioids?
If you are taking a benzodiazepine, mifepristone, or sodium oxybate, you should not take opioids. I...
Why should I lock up my opioid medication and dispose of unused pills?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
It can seem inconvenient to lock up opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way yo...
Can I use fentanyl if I have a history of asthma?
You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of asthma, but you should tell your do...
What are the side effects of opioid medication for short-term pain?
Opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signals) for s...