Can I use Actiq if I have a history of hallucinations?

You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of hallucinations (seeing things or hearing voices that don't exist), but tell your doctor. Actiq, a quick-acting synthetic opiate lozenge used to treat breakthrough cancer pain, can actually cause hallucinations as a side effect. Other possible side effects of Actiq include anxiety, depression and strange thoughts or dreams. If you need to take Actiq, your doctor will carefully monitor your psychological reaction to it to make sure you are okay.

Actiq may also react with certain medications you may be taking for mental health, so be sure to tell your doctor about every medication and supplement you are taking.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What are the risks of using opioid pain medication?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
The main effects and risks of using opioids include nausea and constipation, accidental overdose, an...
What opioid medications can help treat severe headaches?
Egilius L. Spierings, MDEgilius L. Spierings, MD
If you suffer severe headaches frequently, if not daily, one strategy to consider is a long-acti...
Who is at risk for breathing problems caused by opioid medication?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Opioid therapy can decrease your breathing, especially during sleep. This problem, called respir...
How often are opioids prescribed in the US?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The amount of opioid prescriptions in the US peaked in 2012 at more than 255 million and a prescribi...