Can I use Actiq if I have a history of chronic bronchitis?

You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of chronic bronchitis, but you should tell your doctor so that he or she can take precautions. Actiq is a fast-acting narcotic lozenge for the treatment of cancer pain in patients already being treated with narcotics. These drugs suppress the central nervous system and can causing breathing problems, so if you have any lung problem such as chronic bronchitis, using Actiq may put you at higher risk of having breathing problems. You may still be able to use the drug, but your doctor should know your medical history of chronic bronchitis so he or she can carefully monitor your reaction to Actiq.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

Can I use tramadol if I have a history of diabetes?
Tramadol belongs to a class of drugs called opioid analgesics, which doctors prescribe for the treat...
How often are opioids prescribed in the US?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The amount of opioid prescriptions in the US peaked in 2012 at more than 255 million and a prescribi...
What are the symptoms of opioid medication withdrawal?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
If opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signals) is sto...
What should I tell my doctor before taking an opioid medication?
Dr. Travis M. Hendry, MDDr. Travis M. Hendry, MD
Before you start taking an opioid medication, talk to your doctor and pharmacist. Follow these tips:...