Can I use Actiq if I have a history of chronic bronchitis?

You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of chronic bronchitis, but you should tell your doctor so that he or she can take precautions. Actiq is a fast-acting narcotic lozenge for the treatment of cancer pain in patients already being treated with narcotics. These drugs suppress the central nervous system and can causing breathing problems, so if you have any lung problem such as chronic bronchitis, using Actiq may put you at higher risk of having breathing problems. You may still be able to use the drug, but your doctor should know your medical history of chronic bronchitis so he or she can carefully monitor your reaction to Actiq.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What should I tell my doctor before taking an opioid medication?
Dr. Travis M. Hendry, MDDr. Travis M. Hendry, MD
Before you start taking an opioid medication, talk to your doctor and pharmacist. Follow these tips:...
What are the risks of using opioid pain medication?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
The main effects and risks of using opioids include nausea and constipation, accidental overdose, an...
What are opioid medications?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Opioid pain medication is a common type of prescription pain medication. It is also sometimes call...
What medications can cause breathing problems when taken with opioids?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Medications that interact with opioids to decrease breathing include clonazepam (Klonopin), alpr...