Can I use Actiq if I have a history of alcoholism?

You may be able to use the cancer-pain medication Actiq (fentanyl) if you have a history of alcoholism, but tell your doctor. If you're using Actiq, you should not drink any alcohol. The combination could be fatal.

Actiq is a powerful narcotic that may be sold as a street drug, so if you or anyone in your home has a problem with alcohol or illegal drugs, tell your doctor so you can get counseling to keep your Actiq safe. Actiq is prescribed under a very strict federal system, so all patients who take it get only enough for daily use. If someone who is not prescribed Actiq takes it, it could be deadly; this is especially true for children, so if you're prescribed Actiq, it's vital to keep it where kids can't see or get to it.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What should I tell my doctor before taking an opioid medication?
Dr. Travis M. Hendry, MDDr. Travis M. Hendry, MD
Before you start taking an opioid medication, talk to your doctor and pharmacist. Follow these tips:...
What medications interact with opioids?
If you are taking a benzodiazepine, mifepristone, or sodium oxybate, you should not take opioids. I...
What are the side effects of opioid medication for short-term pain?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signals) for s...
What medications can cause breathing problems when taken with opioids?
Medications that interact with opioids to decrease breathing include clonazepam (Klonopin), alpr...