Can I use Actiq if I have had a head injury?

You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you have had a head injury, but tell your doctor, who will need to proceed with extreme caution. Actiq is a quick-acting narcotic lozenge for the treatment of breakthrough cancer pain. A head injury may increase pressure inside your skull, and that can be dangerous if you're taking Actiq. So your doctor will need to monitor your reaction to Actiq carefully. Actiq should never be given for acute or postoperative pain. It's only for cancer patients who are already being treated with narcotics for pain.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

Can I use tramadol if I have a history of diabetes?
Tramadol belongs to a class of drugs called opioid analgesics, which doctors prescribe for the treat...
How does tramadol treat fibromyalgia?
Tramadol (Conzip, Ultram) is a weak narcotic pain medication. It is sometimes prescribed for people ...
Should opioids be prescribed for all types of pain?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
Opioids can be very helpful for acute pain management in the short term, but there are some side eff...
How often are opioids prescribed in the US?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The amount of opioid prescriptions in the US peaked in 2012 at more than 255 million and a prescribi...