Can I use Actiq if I have had a brain tumor?

You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you've had a brain tumor, but your doctor will likely need to monitor your reaction to the medication very carefully. Actiq is a narcotic lozenge for the treatment of breakthrough cancer pain. A brain tumor, like any kind of brain injury, may increase the pressure inside your skull, and that can pose risks when taking Actiq. That's why your doctor needs to know about your brain tumor, even if it happened a long time ago, so he or she can take special precautions to ensure safety while taking Actiq.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What are the side effects of opioid medication for short-term pain?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signals) for s...
What should I tell my doctor before taking an opioid medication?
Dr. Travis M. Hendry, MDDr. Travis M. Hendry, MD
Before you start taking an opioid medication, talk to your doctor and pharmacist. Follow these tips:...
What are the symptoms of opioid medication withdrawal?
If opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signals) is sto...
What should I avoid doing when taking opioid drugs for short-term pain?
While taking opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain s...