Can I use Actiq if I have had a brain tumor?

You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you've had a brain tumor, but your doctor will likely need to monitor your reaction to the medication very carefully. Actiq is a narcotic lozenge for the treatment of breakthrough cancer pain. A brain tumor, like any kind of brain injury, may increase the pressure inside your skull, and that can pose risks when taking Actiq. That's why your doctor needs to know about your brain tumor, even if it happened a long time ago, so he or she can take special precautions to ensure safety while taking Actiq.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How often are opioids prescribed in the US?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The amount of opioid prescriptions in the US peaked in 2012 at more than 255 million and a prescribi...
What should I know before taking opioids?
Before prescribing an opioid for low back pain, your doctor should order a urine test to check for o...
What opioid medications can help treat severe headaches?
Egilius L. Spierings, MDEgilius L. Spierings, MD
If you suffer severe headaches frequently, if not daily, one strategy to consider is a long-acti...
How can I prevent opioid medication withdrawal symptoms?
Howard J. Shaffer, PhDHoward J. Shaffer, PhD
Medications for opioid addiction help prevent or ease withdrawal symptoms and reduce cravings. A...