Can I use Actiq if I have had a brain tumor?

You may be able to use Actiq (fentanyl) if you've had a brain tumor, but your doctor will likely need to monitor your reaction to the medication very carefully. Actiq is a narcotic lozenge for the treatment of breakthrough cancer pain. A brain tumor, like any kind of brain injury, may increase the pressure inside your skull, and that can pose risks when taking Actiq. That's why your doctor needs to know about your brain tumor, even if it happened a long time ago, so he or she can take special precautions to ensure safety while taking Actiq.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

How often are opioids prescribed in the US?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The amount of opioid prescriptions in the US peaked in 2012 at more than 255 million and a prescribi...
How will my doctor ensure I don’t become addicted to opioid medication?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
There is no clear way to ensure that you won’t become addicted to opioids if you are taking them for...
Do prescription opioids cause more deaths than cocaine and heroin?
Howard J. Shaffer, PhDHoward J. Shaffer, PhD
Today, people face stiff penalties for possessing cocaine or heroin, yet data suggest that opioi...
What are opioid medications?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Opioid pain medication is a common type of prescription pain medication. It is also sometimes call...