Is Avinza safe for pregnant or breastfeeding women?

Because there is potential that Avinza could harm a developing baby, it is important to tell your doctor if you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant while taking Avinza. Avinza is a pregnancy Category C medication. This means that either: 1) animal studies have shown the medication to pose a risk to the fetus, but sufficient human studies have not been conducted, or 2) no studies of the medication's impact on a fetus have been conducted in animals or humans.

Research suggests that taking Avinza while breastfeeding poses minimal risk to the baby. If you are breastfeeding while taking Avinza, watch for the following signs that your baby is being exposed to too much Avinza through breast milk: baby does not nurse every two to three hours, sleeps more than four hours at a time, shows severe sleepiness, has difficulty feeding or breathing or is limp. If any of these symptoms is observed, take your infant to an emergency room for immediate care.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

Can I use tramadol if I have a history of diabetes?
Tramadol belongs to a class of drugs called opioid analgesics, which doctors prescribe for the treat...
How will my doctor ensure I don’t become addicted to opioid medication?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
There is no clear way to ensure that you won’t become addicted to opioids if you are taking them for...
How often are opioids prescribed in the US?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The amount of opioid prescriptions in the US peaked in 2012 at more than 255 million and a prescribi...
What are the side effects of opioid medication for short-term pain?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain signals) for s...