What should I know about remifentanil before taking it?

You should know that remifentanil will be administered by an IV by your health care provider in a clinical setting where you can be monitored all the time. It is rarely used alone and can be used to supplement the efficiency of other pain medicines, in order to control their dosages.

Remifentanil will be quickly broken down by your body, and its effectiveness will diminish quickly once the IV is withdrawn. Therefore, other pain medications should be planned for you to take after you leave the hospital.

Tell your doctor if you are pregnant before you receive remifentanil. You should not take this drug if you have a known allergy to any of its ingredients. Remifentanil may make you drowsy or dizzy, so do not plan on driving or operating machinery.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

Do prescription opioids cause more deaths than cocaine and heroin?
Howard J. Shaffer, PhDHoward J. Shaffer, PhD
Today, people face stiff penalties for possessing cocaine or heroin, yet data suggest that opioi...
How does opioid medication treat short-term pain?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Pain medication helps control pain so you can sleep, move, and heal. One type of prescription pa...
What should I know before taking opioids?
Before prescribing an opioid for low back pain, your doctor should order a urine test to check for o...
What should I avoid doing while on opioid medication for chronic pain?
Take opioid pain medication (strong medications that affect the way your brain handles pain sign...