What should I know about remifentanil before taking it?

You should know that remifentanil will be administered by an IV by your health care provider in a clinical setting where you can be monitored all the time. It is rarely used alone and can be used to supplement the efficiency of other pain medicines, in order to control their dosages.

Remifentanil will be quickly broken down by your body, and its effectiveness will diminish quickly once the IV is withdrawn. Therefore, other pain medications should be planned for you to take after you leave the hospital.

Tell your doctor if you are pregnant before you receive remifentanil. You should not take this drug if you have a known allergy to any of its ingredients. Remifentanil may make you drowsy or dizzy, so do not plan on driving or operating machinery.

Continue Learning about Opiate Agonists

What should I know before taking opioids?
Before prescribing an opioid for low back pain, your doctor should order a urine test to check for o...
How often are opioids prescribed in the US?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
The amount of opioid prescriptions in the US peaked in 2012 at more than 255 million and a prescribi...
What are the risks of using opioid pain medication?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
The main effects and risks of using opioids include nausea and constipation, accidental overdose, an...
Why should I lock up my opioid medication and dispose of unused pills?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
It can seem inconvenient to lock up opioid medication (strong medications that affect the way yo...