How do other illnesses affect onychoschizia?

Onychoschizia can be caused by other illnesses or conditions. Trauma or injury to the nail bed may cause the development of this condition. Additionally, individuals with unusual diseases like lichen planus or polycythemia vera may be at risk for onychoschizia. Medications for other illnesses, like retinoids for psoriasis, have been linked to onychoschizie as well. Some people believe that gland disorders, tuberculosis, Sjögren syndrome, and malnutrition can also lead to onychoschizia, but this is not certain.

Continue Learning about Onychoschizia (Nail Splitting)

What causes onychoschizia?
Onychoschizia (splitting of the fingernails) is usually caused by repeated wetting and drying of the...
Why is my onychoschizia worse in the winter?
Onychoschizia can become worse in the winter because this is usually when the weather is driest. In ...
How do medications treat onychoschizia?
Onychoschizia is not usually treated with medications. Instead, onychoschizia is treated through bet...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with onychoschizia?
Usually, an individual with onychoschizia can treat the condition on their own without any outside h...