How does onychoschizia affect the body?

Onychoschizia typically only affects the fingernails. The fingernail can split both vertically and horizontally and is commonly associated with continuous wetting and drying of fingernails. However, onychoschizia can also be caused by some medications like retinoids and unusual diseases like lichen planus and polycythemia vera.
Onychoschizia, or nail splitting, doesn’t usually pose any health threat to the rest of the body. The most common cause of onychoschizia is frequent wetting and drying of the nails. But like many nail symptoms, onychoschizia can be a clue to a larger problem. If onychoschizia occurs in both the toenails and the fingernails, the cause is more likely due to a medical issue, such as a hormonal condition or nutrient deficiency. Certain medications, including those derived from vitamin A, may cause onychoschizia in some people. If all of your nails are brittle and splitting, talk with your doctor.

Continue Learning about Onychoschizia (Nail Splitting)

Are split fingernails a sign of poor nail health?
Split fingernails are a sign of nail weakness. This condition does not generally affect nail health....
Should I talk to my doctor about my onychoschizia symptoms?
Usually onychoschizia can be diagnosed and treated without the help of a doctor. However, you may ch...
Does onychoschizia affect women differently than men?
Since onychoschizia is often found in conditions that are linked to the X chromosome, onychoschizia ...
What kinds of nail products are best for onychoschizia?
The best kinds of nail products for those who suffer from onychoschizia are nail-strengthening solut...