What is the rate of incidence for onycholysis?

Specific statistics for onycholysis are unknown. Nail deformities in general are fairly common. Nearly 50 percent of nail deformities result from a fungal infection. However, onycholysis is different from most nail deformities since it is most commonly caused by trauma to the nail through aggressive nail treatment or accidental strain.

Continue Learning about Onycholysis (Nail Lifting)

Is onycholysis painful?
Onycholysis is normally relatively painless. However, infections that cause onycholysis may cause so...
Should I talk to my doctor about my onycholysis symptoms?
If you are experiencing any of the symptoms of onycholysis, you should speak with your doctor. It is...
Is there a cure for onycholysis?
Onycholysis can usually be cured through good nail care, trimming, and regrowth. However, it is also...
How is onycholysis related to thyroid disease?
Thyroid disease tends to cause and aggravate onycholysis. If the thyroid is either underworked or (m...