Does onycholysis affect men differently than women?

Women are more likely than men to develop onycholysis. This is probably due to the fact that they usually keep their nails longer and visit a manicurist -both conditions can encourage trauma to the nail bed and infection. However, men can still develop onycholysis because of trauma to the nail bed or certain medical conditions like psoriasis, infection, or thyroid disorders.

Continue Learning about Onycholysis (Nail Lifting)

How is onycholoysis (nail lifting) treated?
Treatment for onycholysis (nail lifting) usually involves keeping nails as short as possible so ...
Is onycholysis serious?
If left untreated, onycholysis can be serious as it has the potential to create permanent damage to ...
Should I talk to my doctor about my onycholysis symptoms?
If you are experiencing any of the symptoms of onycholysis, you should speak with your doctor. It is...
Can onycholysis be prevented?
Onycholysis can be prevented by consistent good nail care. Proper nail care includes cleanliness, av...