When should I use online care or an e-visit?

Stanley C. Newhall, MD
General Practice
Online care is appropriate for any visit where you might otherwise call to make an appointment with a family doctor.  If  youthink yo  have an emergency, then you should call 911.  Otherwise, save the ER visit and the two-week wait for theclinic appointment by checking if the online consultation will work for you.  The online doctor can always advise you when your concern needs in-person attention.
Online care or an e-visit may be appropriate If you wish to ask a question about an established problem or refill a prescription. If you have a new problem that may require treatment but are not sure whether or not the problem is urgent, you may use online care for help in making that determination.

Continue Learning about Online Health Care

Know the Risks of Social Media Health Advice
We found a meme of “Honest Abe” Lincoln online accompanied by the quote, “Don’t believe everything you read on the Internet.” Well, a study confirms A...
Do I need to be computer savvy to use online care or an e-visit?
Haya Rubin, MDHaya Rubin, MD
If you are going to try to use the video capabilities of a service like MDLiveCare, then you need to...
How do I pay for online care or an e-visit?
Haya Rubin, MDHaya Rubin, MD
Some people are signed up for services such as MDLiveCare by their employers, or sign up themselves ...
What's Wrong with Our Healthcare System?