What should I do if I fall victim to an online health scam?

If you think you’ve been scammed you should follow these two suggestions:

1. Call Your Credit Card Company Explain what's happened and tell them you do not authorize any more charges from that company. If you're concerned that they may rack up big charges, cancel the card.

2. File a Complaint If you fell for a scam, others will too. Help shutdown fraudulent companies by reporting them to the Better Business Bureau, the Federal Trade Commission, your state attorney general's office, or the Internet Crime Complaint Center.

Continue Learning about Online Health Care

Your Guide to Digital Health Resources
Your Guide to Digital Health Resources
You’re grumpy—and wonder why. So you enter the word in a symptom checker online and find out you may have 1 of 82 disorders or diseases, ranging from ...
What are the limitations for using online care or an e-visit?
Lisa J. Broyles, MDLisa J. Broyles, MD
Limitations would include that our physicians are not substitutes for having a regular primary care ...
Do I need to be computer savvy to use online care or an e-visit?
Haya Rubin, MDHaya Rubin, MD
If you are going to try to use the video capabilities of a service like MDLiveCare, then you need to...
What's an Example of a Surprising Moment in Mobile Health?