What can I do to avoid oligomenorrhea?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Oligomenorrhea occurs in a lot of young women beginning their periods and in pre-menopausal women. Polycystic ovary syndrome is strongly influenced by genetics. These causes cannot usually be prevented. However, oligomenorrhea that results from extreme diets, strenuous exercise and obesity can be prevented by eating healthy and not overexerting your body.

To avoid oligomenorrhea, do not go on any extreme diets and limit your exercise to a healthy amount. These can both cause problems with your menstrual system. If you show symptoms of polycystic ovary syndrome or tumors, go to the doctor to seek treatment.

Patricia Geraghty, NP
Women's Health

The personal changes that you make to prevent oligomenorrhea, infrequent menses, depend on your underlying metabolic risks. In women with tendencies toward PCOS, increased activity and careful management of calorie intake to avoid weight gain or to lose weight are critical. For some women the opposite is true. Women with high levels of activity that are not supported by their calorie intake, Female Athlete Triad, need to manage their activity level and possibly increase their calorie intake. Your healthcare provider can work with you to determine your best plan of action.

Dr. Shelley C. Giebel, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrician & Gynecologist)

Oligomenorrhea can also be caused by excess weight. Estrogen is produced in fat cells. The normal estrogen balance in the body is disrupted and ovulation (release of the egg) monthly is upset.

Weight loss can sometimes result in resumption of normal menstrual cycles, just another reason to shed those extra pounds!

Continue Learning about Oligomenorrhea

Should I talk to my doctor about my oligomenorrhea symptoms?
You should talk to your doctor if your menstrual cycle is irregular in this way. The underlying caus...
How do I manage my oligomenorrhea on a daily basis?
Oligomenorrhea can be managed on a daily basis by the treatment plan your doctor decides is right fo...
What increases my risk for oligomenorrhea?
Your risk of developing oligomenorrhea is much higher with polycystic ovary syndrome. Women under a ...
Do adolescents grow out of oligomenorrhea?
Yes, adolescents often grow out of oligomenorrhea. The beginning of young woman's period is often ir...