How does oligomenorrhea affect pregnancy?

Oligomenorrhea is infrequent or scant menstruation. A cause of oligomenorrhea is failure to ovulate. Therefore if the woman is not ovulating, conception is not going to happen. A second cause of oligomenorrhea is failure of the uterine lining to develop during the proliferative phase of the menstrual cycle. In this case, if ovulation and conception occurred, the fertilized egg would have a difficult time implanting and establishing an adequate vascular bed to establish a placenta and circulation to nourish and maintain a pregnancy.

Shelley C. Giebel, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)

Infrequent menstrual cycles, or oligomenorrhea, indicates that normal ovulation (release of the egg) is not occurring monthly.  It may take longer to conceive.  However, the average couple not suffering with oligomenorrhea conceive in 1 year (80%).  So, consider seeking medical care if time has passed and you are feeling anxious.

Oligomenorrhea can also cause difficulty determining the due date for the pregnancy because ovulation is not predictable.  So, keep close track of your menstrual cycles so you will have an accurate due date.  Early US can help with dating, but your menstrual period history is very important.

Oligomenorrhea can affect the difficulty with which you become pregnant. If your menstrual cycle is not working properly, you may have a very difficult time becoming pregnant. If you wish to become pregnant but menstruate irregularly, your doctor will probably put you on medication that encourages ovulation.

Continue Learning about Oligomenorrhea

Should I talk to my doctor about my oligomenorrhea symptoms?
You should talk to your doctor if your menstrual cycle is irregular in this way. The underlying caus...
Does oligomenorrhea affect adolescents differently than adults?
It is common that young women just beginning their period will experience irregular periods. They us...
How do I manage my oligomenorrhea on a daily basis?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Oligomenorrhea can be managed on a daily basis by the treatment plan your doctor decides is right fo...
How does oligomenorrhea affect the body?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Oligomenorrhea is a menstruation disorder with which women have few, infrequent periods. Women with ...