How does oligomenorrhea affect the body?

Oligomenorrhea is a menstruation disorder with which women have few, infrequent periods. Women with this disorder have had normal periods in the past, but now get a light period infrequently due to a disorder or activity. This can lead to a woman having a difficult time becoming pregnant.

Oligomenorrhea is especially common in young women who have just begun their periods and women who are about to begin going through menopause. There are many possible causes of oligomenorrhea, and treatment involves dealing with the woman's particular cause. Other illnesses can cause oligomenorrhea. Women with this disorder commonly have polycystic ovary syndrome as well. Women with eating disorders also have a tendency to develop oligomenorrhea because of their unhealthy eating habits. Chronic illnesses can affect hormone levels and cause periods to become irregular.

Oligomenorrhea is very treatable, but the causes of the disorder can have serious consequences. Women with abnormal levels of hormones are at higher risk of developing certain types of cancer and having problems with fertility. Eating disorders can lead to atrophy of muscles and serious heart problems. Polycystic ovary syndrome and tumors in the uterus and ovaries need to be treated. It is important to seek medical care if your menstrual cycle is abnormal.

Continue Learning about Oligomenorrhea

Does oligomenorrhea affect adolescents differently than adults?
It is common that young women just beginning their period will experience irregular periods. They us...
Should I talk to my doctor about my oligomenorrhea symptoms?
You should talk to your doctor if your menstrual cycle is irregular in this way. The underlying caus...
How do I manage my oligomenorrhea on a daily basis?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Oligomenorrhea can be managed on a daily basis by the treatment plan your doctor decides is right fo...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with oligomenorrhea?
To care for someone with oligomenorrhea, it is important that you are aware of the cause of the diso...