Can oligomenorrhea cause any complications?

Patricia Geraghty, NP
Women's Health
The complications caused by oligomenorrhea, or infrequent menses, depend on and are more related to the underlying cause, rather than the infrequent menstrual periods themselves. With PCOS there is increased risk of obesity, diabetes, heart disease, and uterine cancers. With excess activity/inadequate nutrition the data is still coming in, but we worry about increase in osteoporosis and possible heart disease. Both situations can cause difficulty getting pregnant.

Women with oligomenorrhea are at risk of difficulties becoming pregnant, osteoporosis, and heart problems. They are also more at risk of uterine cancer when they are not having regular periods. These risks are reasons why you should go to the doctor if you are having irregular periods.

Continue Learning about Oligomenorrhea

What do I need to know about caring for someone with oligomenorrhea?
To care for someone with oligomenorrhea, it is important that you are aware of the cause of the diso...
How do I manage my oligomenorrhea on a daily basis?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Oligomenorrhea can be managed on a daily basis by the treatment plan your doctor decides is right fo...
Do adolescents grow out of oligomenorrhea?
Yes, adolescents often grow out of oligomenorrhea. The beginning of young woman's period is often ir...
What increases my risk for oligomenorrhea?
Patricia Geraghty, NPPatricia Geraghty, NP
High levels of activity require high levels of energy intake—food. Working out too much may be stres...