Are there alternative treatments for oligomenorrhea?

Patricia Geraghty, NP
Women's Health
There are alternative therapies for infrequent menses. First it is important to determine the cause of the infrequent menses. If there is a tumor in the pituitary, there are no alternates to the best option, surgery. If it is a metabolic cause, the most important alternative treatments are nutritional and activity management to get the right amount of calories and exercise for you as an individual. Acupuncture has also been shown to help restore regular periods and increase fertility. 

There are alternative treatments for oligomenorrhea about which you should consult your doctor. Many women, especially menopausal women, find relief from natural hormone replacement therapy - though it is important to be aware of the serious risks that go along with this treatment option. Acupuncture and herbal therapy are sometimes successful in regulating oligomenorrhea. For people with stress issues, medication can help with relaxation and reducing the strain put on their body.

Continue Learning about Oligomenorrhea

How do I manage my oligomenorrhea on a daily basis?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Oligomenorrhea can be managed on a daily basis by the treatment plan your doctor decides is right fo...
Does oligomenorrhea affect adolescents differently than adults?
It is common that young women just beginning their period will experience irregular periods. They us...
Should I talk to my doctor about my oligomenorrhea symptoms?
You should talk to your doctor if your menstrual cycle is irregular in this way. The underlying caus...
What can I do to avoid oligomenorrhea?
Patricia Geraghty, NPPatricia Geraghty, NP
The personal changes that you make to prevent oligomenorrhea, infrequent menses, depend on your unde...